Mercia Paddlers gathered on 10th August 2019 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the first two canal boats travelling into Coventry, on the Coventry Canal. Bridge 1 is the entrance into the Canal Basin, at the end of the Coventry Canal, close to the City Centre.
The Coventry Mercury reported, on 10th August 1769, “two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with load cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival.”
It is amazing to think about the history of this place and all the people that have travelled to and from Coventry, on the waterway. Members of the Canoe Club and visitors of all ages took to the water on a wild afternoon with challenging gusty winds.